*Please Note: Minimum/Maximum number of participants may apply to some activities. For short notice availability or if you are unable to select the numbers of places for this event that you require, please call us or get in touch via our Contact page to discuss other alternatives.
Winter Skills with Alfresco Adventures will teach and develop the essential skills needed for staying safe whilst hill walking in the winter environment.
During the course we will focus on crampon use and use of the ice axe including; ice axe arrest, step cutting, snow belays, emergency shelters and navigation. We will also cover avalanche awareness, weather and personal equipment.
Our winter courses can run from two to four days. We will cover all of the above aspects in all courses however the four day course will be more in depth than the two day. Courses are run in both the Lake District and Cairngorm National Park, Scotland using venues appropriate to the content of the course.
A typical itinerary is;
- Day 1 – Weather & avalanche forecasts, personal equipment, moving efficiently on snow and slopes, introduce the ice axe, self-arrests and crampons.
- Day 2 – Weather & avalanche forecasts, developing skills learnt on Day 1, different uses for the ice axe, step cutting, developing self-arrests and emergency procedures including emergency shelters.
- Day 3- Weather & avalanche forecasts, developing skills learnt on Day 2, Navigation and route choice.
- Day 4 – Putting your skills into practice. Today we put everything we have learnt into practice as we move through the dynamic mountain environment and reach summits.
- Course debrief and depart