British Canoe Union 2 Star Course
£180.00 6 hours
*Please Note: Minimum/Maximum number of participants may apply to some activities. Online bookings can only be made 2 weeks in advance, for short notice availability or if you are unable to select the numbers of places for this event that you require, please call us or get in touch via our Contact page to discuss other alternatives.
This is an improvement award that helps paddlers develop fundamental paddlesport skills on flat water. The emphasis is on gaining a breadth of experience, creating the desired movement of the boat and developing an understanding into how the paddleboat and water interact.
This award is obtained by taking the assessment in both a kayak and a canoe and takes place in sheltered water. We recommend the minimum age been 14 years old.
- Must be able to swim 25m wearing a Buoyancy Aid
- Have experience in both canoe and kayak
- Canoed or kayaked in two different locations
The course covers:
- Lifting, carrying and launching the kayak or canoe
- Efficient forward paddling
- Steering the kayak or canoe
- Maneuvering in a confined space
- Preventing a capsize
- Peer rescue
- Capsize and self-rescue
- Personal risk management
- Awareness of others
- Planning a trip
- Hypothermia and very basic first aid