British Canoe Union 1 Star Course
£180.00 6 hours
*Please Note: Minimum/Maximum number of participants may apply to some activities. Online bookings can only be made 2 weeks in advance, for short notice availability or if you are unable to select the numbers of places for this event that you require, please call us or get in touch via our Contact page to discuss other alternatives.
The 1 star award is a clear stepping stone to becoming a paddler. Designed as a basic course, the 1 star is the level people would typically reach after an introductory course of six hours on the water.
This award is obtained by taking the assessment in any style of kayak or canoe and takes place in sheltered water. We recommend the minimum age being 14 years old.
The course covers:
- Lifting, carrying and launching
- Forward paddling over a distance of 100m
- Steering and controlling
- Returning to the bank and getting out
- Capsizing and be rescued or swimming to the shore
- Emptying boats once capsized
- Personal risk management
- Awareness of others
- A journey of about an hour
- Hypothermia/ Very basic First Aid